Kestrel Bike-Kestrel Legend Shimano 105 Bicycle Review
Kestrel Legend Shimano 105 Bicycle is what we’re going to review in this road bike review. As we have always been striving to find the best cheap road bike and writing road bike reviews 2019 for our readers with that purpose in mind, this time, we have decided to review this top-notch racing bike, Kestrel bike.
As always, we would like to shed some lights on the manufacturer of this Kestrel road bike, before we proceed on to add more details to the review. It’s part of consumer behavior to feel good about the maker of a product with a good reputation on the market. Let’s see below what information we can get about the maker of this kestrel bike.
Kestrel is an American bicycle manufacturing company with its headquarters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Belonging to American bike brands list, Kestrel is widely known to have been specialized in road racing and Triathlon bikes. The company was founded in 1986 by a team of trek employees combined with some aerospace experts. Advanced Sports, the parent company of Fuji and SE, acquired Kestrel in 2007. However, the acquisition didn’t affect the quality of kestrel bikes. The new company has although adhered to the same high standards as the founding company in terms of materials, components, and craftsmanship of kestrel bikes.
Kestrel is known to be the first bicycle manufacturing company in the world to introduce all-carbon frame in 1986. They also introduced the first ever carbon fiber fork and pioneered KM40 Airfoil, the first pure aero triathlon frame.
This much information is good enough to know about a bicycle manufacturer, as far as general readers’ needs about bike reviews are concerned. Now we will examine underneath the specifications of this Kestrel road bike.
Specifications of this Kestrel Bike:
- Color: Satin Carbon/Blue Gray
- Frame Sizes: 48cm, 51cm, 53cm, 55cm, 57cm, 59cm, 62cm
- Main Frame: Kestrel EMH (Enhanced Modulus Hybrid) 700 & 800K Carbon Fiber
- Back Triangle: EMH Carbon Fiber with Derailleur Hanger that can be replaced
- Fork: EMH Full Carbon 1 1/8”- 1 ½” Tapered Steerer
- WheelSet: Oval concepts 527, 700c, 18/24H Cartridge Bearing Hubs
- Tires: Victoria Zaffiro Pro slick, 700X25c, folding
- CrankSet: Oval concepts 520, 52/36T
- Bottom Bracket: Oval concepts external threaded with/ BB30 Adaptor
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105, Braze-on
- Back Derailleur: Shimano 105, 11-speed
- Shifters: Shimano 105 STI, 11-speed
- Cassette: Shimano 105, 11-28T 11-speed
- Chain: KMC X 11 w/ Missing Link, 11-speed
- Brake Set: Tektro R540 Dual Pivot
- Brake Levers: Shimano 105 STI
- Headset: Across the Clamp Integrated 1 1/8” top, 1 ½” bottom
- Handlebar: Oval Concepts 310 6061 Alloy, Ergonomic Fit
- Stem: Oval Concepts 313 6061 3-D forged, 31.8mm +/- 7°
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch Pro, STN Rails
- Seat Post: Oval concepts 905 Carbon, 31.6mm X 350mm, 2-bolt adjustable head
Is Kestrel Legend For You?
This kestrel legend is for those who mean speed and ride comfort at the same time. Weighing simply 780-gram, the lightest ever frame kestrel made with carbon design, EMS fork by kestrel and H-stays, and this kestrel legend 105 is born to be stiff while compliant enough to absorb all road bumps in adverse situations providing smart, aggressive, agile, and a comfortable ride. The legend comes with the choice of Super light (SL) and Non-Super light (non-SL) frames.
Main Features of Kestrel Bike:
It’s a tough task for someone to gather all the required and relevant information about a product online. Often you get so much information that it baffles you and you get misguided. Especially, it’s not easy for a newbie to filter through them and process the information they receive. This kestrel legend review will provide you with all the features you need to know about this legend and nothing you don’t need to overburden yourself. The following are the key features of this kestrel legend 105 you will find useful.
High-modulus Carbon Fiber Construction:
Kestrel Models such as LTD and SL (Super Light) are made out of High-modulus carbon fiber. Inner polyurethane molds are used in the BB shell and Head tube (High-stress area) to keep the carbon layer wrinkles to the minimum that results in the lightest and sturdiest frames imagined. It also ensures a better stiffness and compaction.
Enhanced Modulus Hybrid Carbon Construction:
Legend frames are made out of EMH (Enhanced Modulus Hybrid) carbon, which is a fusion of 700 and 800K carbon fibers. This combination provides optimum performance at a relatively cheaper price as far as our road bike reviews are concerned.
Built off 780g Super Light frames:
Weighing just 11 lbs, the most recent Legend is built with the 780g super light frame to accompany components by prestigious brands such as Prologo, Reynolds, SRAM, and Tune.
EPS Foam in the Fork of Kestrel Bike:
Expanded Polystyrene foam mold, which is similar to 800k carbon, is used in the fork for smoothing and compacting carbon fibers. It causes the fork crown to be lightweight yet rigid.
An aggressive geometry is applied for an enhanced aerodynamic position with a low head tube, and a head tube tapered at 1 1/8” -1 ½” for a precision steering by enhancing lateral stiffness.
BB30 Bottom Bracket:
The BB30 bottom bracket keeps the frame stiffness to the maximum at the crank.
Exclusive Kestrel H-Stays:
Seat stays and chainstays, exclusive and in asymmetric shape are constructed to transfer power by improving lateral stiffness, and provide dampening of vibrations.
Size Options of Kestrel Bikes:
Each individual bike of the 7 sizes available is equipped with uniquely designed shapes, diameters, tube lengths, and carbon lay ups to ensure an appropriate size and ride comfort for each size rider.
Pros and Cons
- 700 & 800K High-modulus Carbon Fiber Combination Construction
- EMS Carbon Fork by Kestrel
- 105 11-Speed Drivetrain by Shimano
- Dual-Pivot Brakes by Tektro
- Oval concepts Cockpit, Crankset, and Wheels
- Like all other high-end bicycles, this kestrel bike is a bit expensive, some bike enthusiasts opine.
Conclusion of Kestrel Legend:
This bike is rightly considered to be one of the best bikes made in USA. It’s true that this legend doesn’t fall under the cheap road bikes category, but surely it deserves a special mention. This this Kestrel bike is undoubtedly worth your consideration.